for those not in the know, night witches were russian lady bombers who bombed the shit out of german lines in WW2. Thing is though, they had the oldest, noisiest, crappest planes in the entire world. The engines used to conk out halfway through their missions, so they had to climb out on the wings mid flight to restart the props. the planes were also so noisy that to stop germans from hearing them combing and starting up their anti aircraft guns, they’d climb up to a certain height, coast down to german positions, drop their bombs, restart their engines in midair, and get the fuck out of dodge.
their leader flew over 200 missions and was never captured.
how the fuck is this not taught in every single history class ever
pretty sure I’ve reblogged this before but it can happen again
This is laughably incorrect.
Although technologically obsolete as of WWII, the Polikarpov Po-2 “Kukuruznik” biplanes flown by the 588th Night Bomber Regiment were in no way ” the oldest, noisiest, crappest planes in the entire world.”
Fact 1: The Po-2 was first flown in 1929 and remained in production until 1953 due to its low cost and extreme reliability. It is, in fact, the second most produced aircraft in history, and the most produced biplane in history. The night bombers flew brand new, specially modified Po-2s fitted with bomb racks and machine guns.
Fact 2: The Po-2 was extremely quiet; Germans nicknamed it the Nähmaschine (“sewing machine”) due to the muted rattling sound its tiny little 99-horsepower radial engine made. The night bombers would fly these quiet, sneaky little planes just a few meters off the ground, then climb to higher altitude, cut the engine, and glide to the attack point so that the Germans would have no warning of an incoming attack other than the ghostly whistle of wind through the wing bracing-wires.
Fact 3: Saying “their leader flew over 200 missions” is both inaccurate and damning with faint praise. All of the 588th Night Bomber Regiment pilots flew multiple missions every night, with the record being eighteen missions flown back-to-back-to-back-to-back in a single night. By the end of the war, most of the “Night Witches” had around a thousand combat sorties under their belts.
The Night Witches were THAT fucking badass, and it pisses me off when people get it all wrong because they’re too damn lazy to do their homework.
I’ve reblogged the incorrect version of this before, and this is even more awesome.
- spareusthislast reblogged this from charmingbravardo
- colinmorganbetwerkin reblogged this from bitchslapbarbie-fromconnecticut
- theajaxmountain reblogged this from musclesandweight
- clarissimae likes this
- noonparade reblogged this from castiels-necktie and added:
- abracadabraalley reblogged this from lucklessmoss
- the1d-potter-games reblogged this from troyesivan
- the1d-potter-games likes this
- thosefirst2seconds likes this
- lucklessmoss reblogged this from laurennotconrad
- laurennotconrad reblogged this from when-in-eternal-lines-to-time
- harlansucks likes this
- dhamilsemelestar reblogged this from captainhollyshort
- dhamilsemelestar likes this
- eandpletters likes this
- deebauchery likes this
- lowercasename reblogged this from therainingkiwi
- when-in-eternal-lines-to-time reblogged this from literaryreference
- sexxand-candy likes this
- whitneysabrinababy reblogged this from porn-cakes
- skindler likes this
- castiels-necktie reblogged this from -silverstar-
- castiels-necktie likes this
- -silverstar- reblogged this from annie-mosity
- musclesandweight reblogged this from grimcreeper666
- grimcreeper666 reblogged this from elephanteakettle
- grimcreeper666 likes this
- jamalroth likes this
- therainingkiwi reblogged this from annie-mosity
- elephanteakettle reblogged this from literaryreference
- meislovely reblogged this from ashezlovessugarlessgum
- meislovely likes this
- annie-mosity reblogged this from therainingkiwi and added:
- sweetnothingingness reblogged this from literaryreference
- slanderandcalumny reblogged this from gatheringbones
- ovoxobeidy reblogged this from xverdosed
- nevermellow likes this
- staysweeet likes this
- and-also-lace likes this
- unconscious-living likes this
- xverdosed reblogged this from bloody-bubblegum-lolita
- mageofmuffinz likes this
- bitchslapbarbie-fromconnecticut reblogged this from nepetas-shipping-navy
- i-want-a-life-of-my-own likes this
- youreyesarethesizeofthemoon reblogged this from literaryreference
- fracturedsky reblogged this from captainhollyshort
- redsthefuture reblogged this from holmes-gurl
- balanceexistence likes this
- balanceexistence reblogged this from insanelynumb
- chickenuggetbeer likes this