Let this sink in ppl. We don’t dislike y’all for no reason. This wasn’t 500 years ago. This happened in my grandmothers AND mothers lifetime.
Passive Resistance Training, SNCC, Atlanta, GA, 1960, by James Karales, courtesy Duke University Library
people had to be trained to deal wit the evil of white people
I hope this makes it clear to folks that non-violence as expressed during the Civil Rights Movement was not simply a moral or political choice. It was a tactical application as well.
Do y’all think SNCC, SCLC, CORE, MLK, Jr. or anyone else wanted to witness their people being beaten, that they wanted to stay their fists and guns when their CHILDREN were being murdered? If you do, I suggest you go back to history class, because MLK, Medgar Evers, Bayard Rustin, almost any person you can think of who advocated non-violence had armed guards and personnel in place for their and their people’s safety.
Non-violence as a resistance strategy was an attempt at provocation. Recognize that. Recognize that’s why these folks are training. Because they’re performing provocation through passive resistance. By not striking back they were illustrating the madness and vitriol of white supremacy. They were exposing in the most dramatic manner possible the denial of their humanity.
Understand: This was not turn the other cheek, this was looking into the eyes of the Devil and not backing down.
this is a damn good point to counter all the nonviolence moralistic liberal bullshit going on continuously in activist spaces.
Can we also take a moment to talk about how important it was that the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee had the foresight to bring in a professional photographer to create a document of this sort of training. That the conversation taking place in this tumblr thread is only occurring today because of a photographic record created years ago is a testimony to the importance of the photographer to radical discourses.
^archives are so crucial.
- scifi-fantasist likes this
- grotesque-ipseity likes this
- tristencayton likes this
- kwamejaw reblogged this from beardedelder
- naijanyc reblogged this from officialkon
- lkethecountry likes this
- officialkon reblogged this from sunandcolor
- seanmartins23 likes this
- slenderica reblogged this from sunandcolor
- xiaomaoqq likes this
- pastlexican likes this
- lunaann reblogged this from kawaiislutface
- wednesdaymarauder reblogged this from rhythmandblue
- estoycomiendo reblogged this from queermarxistfashionista
- frickmyhotbuns reblogged this from wattsworth
- xombre likes this
- wattsworth reblogged this from la1ka
- never-again-shall-i-go-here reblogged this from rhythmandblue
- never-again-shall-i-go-here likes this
- notregistering likes this
- beguilinglinens reblogged this from weirdnyishisms
- jondrettte likes this
- hledgering likes this
- audio-sexual reblogged this from petticoatruler
- talktosmiletofeel reblogged this from rhythmandblue
- chazkeats likes this
- onemoresaturday reblogged this from rhythmandblue
- whiteroseroom reblogged this from rhythmandblue
- williamlongfellow likes this
- kelly-k likes this
- blacklaceandblasphemy reblogged this from hellyesimthatgirl
- onigirizen likes this
- hehurfunneh reblogged this from paperbackbutts
- anagrammaton reblogged this from schakall
- roisexy likes this
- katnissandpeppa reblogged this from dismantlynn
- dona-nobispacem reblogged this from hellyesimthatgirl
- dona-nobispacem likes this
- bastetcg reblogged this from teatimetracy
- teatimetracy reblogged this from paperbackbutts
- paperbackbutts reblogged this from obsolete-ire
- paperbackbutts likes this
- horrormoans likes this
- blutundrunstig likes this
- dismantlynn reblogged this from schakall
- shwetanarayan likes this
- hellyesimthatgirl reblogged this from schakall
- obsolete-ire reblogged this from schakall
- queen-dido likes this